Productions & performances held at the Sydney Opera House
We hold records of productions and performances held at the Sydney Opera House.
Sydney Opera House Trust; NRS-21273, Posters of productions, 1955-2000.
These are posters of performances and events that occurred at the Opera House.
Sydney Opera House Trust; NRS-21786, Programs, 1972-1997.
This is a complete set of programs for both the Sydney Opera House Trust productions and for hirer productions including events, fundraisers and exhibitions. The programs were previously held in the collection of the Dennis Wolanski Library of the Performing Arts, which was closed in 1997. Search the catalogue for a list of the programs in this series.
These images are of productions performed at the Sydney Opera House, group portraits and a small number of costume designs. The hirers included the Australian Opera, the Australian Ballet, Gary Penny Productions, Peter and Ellen Williams, the Sydney Dance Company and the Sydney Theatre Company.
Sydney Opera House Trust; NRS-17759, Cultural Programme Committee minutes, 1971-1976
Sydney Opera House Trust; NRS-17761, Programme Committee minutes, 1971-1987
Watch the webinar
Our exhibition: The People’s House – The Sydney Opera House at 50 features dozens of programs from the State Archive collection. Join exhibition curator Dr Scott Hill as we dive into an intriguing archive
Guide to the records
Highlighting Sydney Opera House records in the State Archives Collection
An International Competition for the design of a National Opera House at Bennelong Point was held in 1956. We hold the original drawings submitted by Jørn Utzon and other competition records
After the election of a new Liberal government in 1965, control over payments for the Opera House project was transferred from the Opera House Committee to the Minster of Public Works
Fort Macquarie was constructed between 1817-1821 and demolished in 1901. The Tram Depot was opened in 1902 and pulled down in 1958 to make way for the building of the Sydney Opera House
The Opera House was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 20 October 1973. This was followed by a two-week festival of events