Museums of History NSW recognises the importance of internships in enabling students to gain valuable workplace experience and develop industry-specific abilities in a chosen area.
We value the contribution that interns make to our work and are committed to providing opportunities for students to develop personally and professionally in a supportive environment.
Our internships are usually project-based and allow students to gain an insight into the elements of one or more projects. Interns may work in core museum areas such as exhibition content development and interpretation, collection cataloguing, conservation, records management, heritage and research, marketing, or event coordination. Interns may also undertake a placement in corporate services work areas such as information technology, finance or human resources.
Participation in all MHNSW internships requires that the student’s insurance be covered by their educational institution. Internships run for 15-30 days depending on the needs of the project and those of the student’s educational institution and assessment requirements.
For inquiries about Museums of History NSW’s internship program, please contact:
Producer – Volunteer & Internship Programs
Phone: +61 2 8239 2441 or 0452 153 392
My internship was truly rewarding and provided me with a wealth of experience! I was given the opportunity to work with fantastic staff, I got access to some great resources and I was provided with continual feedback and support. I was able to meaningfully contribute to the organisation and staff helped me determine where I want to take my career. It was a very valuable, satisfying and memorable experience!
Victoria, Audience Research intern
- Museums of History NSW develops internships across a range of disciplines based on current business needs and projects. These are offered twice per year to coincide with the academic semester of many educational institutions. Semester 1 internships are usually open for applications around late February each year, and Semester 2 internships are usually open around late July each year.
- We provide a Project Outline for each new internship and the application process includes an interview for shortlisted candidates. We welcome applications from a wide range of universities and colleges.
- Our internships generally run for 10-12 weeks on a 2-3 days per week basis.
- MHNSW internships are unpaid and are available to students undertaking relevant courses at Australian educational institutions. Potential applicants should note that any required accommodation and/or travel is to be funded by the student.
- From time to time we also accept requests from educational institutions to place students. Placements depend on availability of a suitable project and supervision.
- Students wishing to apply for one of our internships must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You must be currently enrolled in a relevant course at a recognised Australian tertiary educational institution.
- The placement must be a required component of the student’s course or subject.
- Your educational institution must provide endorsement for you to undertake the internship and provide insurance cover.
- Applicants should note that preference will be given to students enrolled in educational institutions in NSW. At this time, we are not able to accept internship applications from students enrolled at institutions outside Australia.
- The MHNSW internship program is only available to current students.
- Individuals are not able to provide their own insurance for internships. Post graduates and other non-students are not eligible to apply for internships but are welcome to apply for volunteer roles – please visit our volunteer page and sign-up to our Volunteer Opportunities newsletter.
How to apply
You can apply for internship projects which are currently advertised. To apply, see the Current Opportunities section below. Click on the project that interests you and read the Project Outline, then submit the required documents.
Note that if you want to apply for more than one project you must submit a separate application for each project.
Sign-up to our internships newsletter to be the first to know when new internships are open for applications and how to apply. Visit our e-news page, add your email and tick ‘internship opportunities’.
Be the first to hear about new internship opportunities and how to apply. Note: select 'Internship Opportunities' when subscribing!Sign up to eNews