Utzon v the Minister
After the election of a new Liberal government in 1965, control over payments for the Opera House project was transferred from the Opera House Committee to the Minster of Public Works William Davis Hughes. Conflict between the Minister and Mr Utzon escalated as Davis Hughes attempted to rein in the costs of the project. On 28 February 1966 Jørn Utzon resigned and left Sydney in April of that year.
Search the catalogue for records relating to Utzon’s resignation.
Examples of records relating to Utzon’s resignation
- Department of Public Works; NRS-12723, Copies of correspondence between Mr Jørn Utzon and the Minister for Public Works, Hon. Davis Hughes, and notes of meetings, 1965-1966
- Department of Public Works; NRS 12724, Papers, correspondence and briefs to Counsel relating to Mr Jørn Utzon, Architect v. the Minister for Public Works, Hon. Davis Hughes [Sydney Opera House], 1947-1970. See the catalogue for a list of the items in this series.
- Department of Public Works; NRS-12725, Miscellaneous papers relating to the resignation of Mr Jørn Utzon as Architect, Sydney Opera House, 1964-1966
- Department of Public Works; NRS-12729, Jørn Utzon vs. Minister for Public Works: Defendant's pleas and particulars of plaintiff's claim, 1968
- Department of Public Works; NRS-12730, "Observations" on Jørn Utzon's claims against the Minister for Public Works, 1963-1969