Fort Macquarie, Bennelong Point
Fort Macquarie, situated on Bennelong Point, was constructed between 1817-1821 and demolished in 1901. Fort Macquarie Tram Depot was opened in 1902 and pulled down in 1958 to make way for the building of the Sydney Opera House.
See the Coastal Fortifications Guide for sources relating to coastal fortifications, defence works and military buildings.
- Index to Colonial Secretary’s Papers, 1788-1825
- Tramway Traffic Branch; NRS-12909, Plans of Fort Macquarie Tram depot, 1901-1902
- Ministry of Transport; NRS-10623, Correspondence files, 1932-1988. NRS-10623-4-[10/2800]-58/38/641, Proposal and selection of the Fort Macquarie Tram Depot site for the construction of the Sydney Opera House, 1951-1958
Guide to the records
Highlighting Sydney Opera House records in the State Archives Collection
An International Competition for the design of a National Opera House at Bennelong Point was held in 1956. We hold the original drawings submitted by Jørn Utzon and other competition records
Significant publications and reports on the Sydney Opera House project, including the rules for the design competition, plans, drawings and photographs at various stages of the construction
We hold records relating to the construction of Sydney Opera House including the stages of construction, who was who, correspondence, plans, contracts, accounting records and more
The Opera House was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 20 October 1973. This was followed by a two-week festival of events