Opening of the Sydney Opera House
The Opera House was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 20 October 1973. This was followed by a two-week festival of events.
The Sydney Opera House Official Opening Committee was responsible for overall policy governing the official opening of the Sydney Opera House and associated activities, including finance.
Search the catalogue for records of the opening of Sydney Opera House.
Examples of records on the opening of Sydney Opera House
- Sydney Opera House Trust; NRS-21739, Sydney Opera House Official Souvenir, 28-09-1973 to 31-12-1973
- Department of Public Works; NRS-12819, Programme of the Sydney Opera House Official Opening and Waratah Festival, 17/10/1973-03/11/1973
- Sydney Opera House Official Opening Committee; NRS-14001, Sydney Opera House Official Opening and Festival: Final report, 17/10/1973-03/11/1973
- Sydney Opera House Trust; NRS-17748, Public Relations Committee agendas, reports and copies of minutes [Sydney Opera House Trust], 1972-1975
- Sydney Opera House Official Opening Committee; NRS-14000, Correspondence files, 1972-1973
Guide to the records
Highlighting Sydney Opera House records in the State Archives Collection
We hold records of productions and performances held at the Sydney Opera House
After the election of a new Liberal government in 1965, control over payments for the Opera House project was transferred from the Opera House Committee to the Minster of Public Works
An eye-catching object in the People’s House: Sydney Opera House at 50 exhibition reveals an unexpected story of the opening ceremonies, of performance, and of international diplomacy
There are many images of the Sydney Opera House in all stages of construction and use in the State Archives Collection.