Rose Seidler House

Deck and Harry Seidler mural at Rose Seidler House.

A new way of living

Once word spread about the newly built Rose Seidler House in 1950, it was the ‘most talked about house in Sydney’. Seventy years on, it's impossible to deny the strength and daring of Seidler's vision

COL_CSLRC_PIC2001_2c.jpg

An environment for living: Rose Seidler House

From the curtains to the coffee table and the cutlery, every object and fitting in the house Harry Seidler designed for his parents was of a functional and flexible design that reflected the modern lifestyle

Bischofsbrot (Bishop’s Bread)

Studded with colourful glacé fruits, Bischofsbrot, or Bishop’s bread, is an egg-rich, sweetened loaf popular in northern Europe

Rose Seidler (left) and Bea Evans seated in the living room, Rose Seidler House

Conserving Harry Seidler’s sofa 

A sofa Harry Seidler designed for Rose Seidler House was conserved and reupholstered, and the process revealed some unexpected findings

Exterior of Rose Seidler House
4 May, various times
Tour

Curator-led tour of Rose Seidler House & Julian Rose House

Enjoy a tour of Rose Seidler House with Museums of History NSW curator Michael Lech, plus a rare peek at the Julian Rose House with Brian Seidler AM

Latest News

Digitising the Rose Seidler House Collection

Over the past week, our Collection Digitisation Team has been facilitating an in-situ photoshoot at Rose Seidler House

Cook & Curator

Eier auf Florentiner Art (Eggs Florentine)

This classic recipe is simple to make yet rich and flavoursome. Perfect for a weekend brunch or a light supper

A close up of a Kookaburra in front of Rose Seidler house
Plant your history

Feathered friends at Rose Seidler House

We visited Rose Seidler house at Wahroonga and were joined during morning tea by two Kookaburras eager to steal some food

Florilegium plants

Firewheel tree

A Queensland firewheel tree is one of the more prominent surviving elements of the garden Rose Seidler established around the modernist, Bauhaus-influenced house designed for her by her architect son, Harry, and completed in 1950