20 May 1867 - Vernon nautical school admissions
On 20 May 1867 applications for admission to the nautical school-ship, the Vernon, commenced.
The Vernon was purchased by the Colonial Secretary in January 1867 and moored in Sydney Harbour. It was intended that vagrant and destitute boys would receive moral, nautical and industrial training along with elementary schooling.
The Vernon was replaced with the Sobraon in November 1892.
Source: Dunn. M. (2008). Dictionary of Sydney. Vernon nautical training ship
- See more about the Vernon and Sobraon in our catalogue (Agency 411)
Search the index
21,000+ entries from Mittagong Farm home for Boys, Randwick Asylum for Destitute Children, Orphan schools & Industrial schools
Browse more photos in the State Archives catalogue
Major sources from the collection relating to child care and protection, in the 19th and early 20th centuries
This webinar explores the records of institutions, schools and asylums that housed orphan, destitute and other children placed in the care of the NSW Government
The forlorn hulk of the HMAS Tingira features in several 1930s drawings of Berrys Bay by celebrated artist Lloyd Rees