Hyde Park Barracks
As a punishment, convicts were made to step continuously on treadmills to power wheels that ground grain
From 1822, with the British government keen to cut costs and encourage pastoral expansion, part three sees the removal of convicts from town.
The memorial was officially unveiled on 28 August 1999 by Governor-General Sir William Deane
What was it like to be a convict living at Hyde Park Barracks?
Artists Tony Albert and Angela Tiatia have teamed up with creatives Lille Madden and Alina Olivares-Panucci
In 1848 the Hyde Park Barracks became an immigration depot and hiring office for unaccompanied women newly arrived in Sydney
The Bigge Inquiry (1819–23) made recommendations to reshape the colony and make transportation ‘a fate to dread’.
In the young colony, there was no prisoner’s barrack - the bush and sea were the walls of the convicts’ prison
Only about 13 per cent of convicts were women