Meroogal Women’s Art Prize
The biennial Meroogal Women’s Art Prize, now in its 19th year
We are delighted to celebrate the achievements and creativity of women artists across NSW who were invited to create works responding to Meroogal and its sense of place. The prize pays tribute to the four generations of women from the Thorburn and Macgregor families who lived at Meroogal in Nowra for almost 100 years.
When selecting the finalists from the more than 280 entries received, our judges looked for artworks that cast new light on the stories of the people who lived at Meroogal and the house’s rich and diverse collection. The short-listed works are displayed in the house among the furniture, paintings, ceramics, costume, textiles and other household ephemera – making for a unique and intimate exhibition experience.
1st prize – Ebony Russell for her artwork titled Our manifold nature: loutrophoros for the new woman.
2nd prize – Saskia Everingham for Essentials.
Highly Commended – Judy Panucci for Making do – moth and panel for Elgin.
Vilma Bader, Dianne Beevers, Katherine Boland, Jane Burton Taylor, Vita Cochran, Kaz Davis, Kate Dorrough, Sarah Edmondson, , Saskia Everingham, Sepideh Farzam, Tina Fox, Ariella Friend, Carolynne Gordon, Kim Grivas, Annie Guo, Vici Hoskins, Megan Lawrence, Elizabeth Lewis, Julie Love, Fleur MacDonald, Judith Martinez Estrada, Shannon McLoughlin, Jo Mellor, Judy Panucci, Sassy Park, Julie Paterson, Susan Peacock and Christine Sadler, Jenny Pollak, Ebony Russell, Jennifer Ryan, Niomi Sands, Susan Shortridge, Holly Siles, Nettie Sumner, Rebecca Trajkovski, Caroline Wright and Melinda Young.
Prize money kindly funded by SLM Foundation
- 1st Prize: $7000, a Bundanon artist-in-residence scholarship,* and a Museums of History NSW membership
- 2nd Prize: $1500, a solo exhibition at the Shoalhaven Regional Gallery, Nowra, including an opening event, and a Museums of History NSW membership
- Highly Commended Award: $1500 and a Museums of History NSW membership
- People’s Choice Award: $500 and a Museums of History NSW membership (to be announced at the close of the exhibition)
* The timing and duration of the residency to be determined in negotiation with Bundanon.
- Bronwyn Coulston, Manager – Arts & Culture, Shoalhaven City Council
- Rachel Kent, CEO, Bundanon
- Rebecca Bushby, Director, Programming, Production & Audience, Museums of History NSW
- Janet Laurence, artist
MeroogalCorner West and Worrigee streets, Nowra NSW 2541. Phone +61 2 4421 8150
- Wheelchair accessible
- 17 September 2022 – 22 April 2023