The Gunz house was designed in 1940 by architect Ellice Nosworthy (1897-1972) for her sister and brother-in-law, Cecily and Rudolf Gunz.
A playroom was added in 1957 also designed by Nosworthy. Ellice Nosworthy was one of the first women in Australia to practice as an architect following her graduation from Sydney University in 1922. Her sister Cecily Gunz studied furniture design in London and on return to Australia in 1936 was employed as an interior designer by architects, Stephenson & Meldrum. Gunz worked on interiors until around 1948 mainly for offices, hotels, and hospitals, but also designed domestic furniture and fittings including some examples for her own home. It remained the Gunz family home until Cecily's death in 2001.
The house was largely unaltered and still contained the Gunz's furnishings when photographed in March 2002 prior to its first ever sale.
Photographer: Ross Heathcote
Date Photographed: March 2002
Original image format: b&w 35mm photographic negatives; 35mm mounted slides
Copyright: Caroline Simpson Collection, Photograph Ross Heathcote
Further reading: Julie Willis & Bronwyn Hanna, Women architects in Australia 1900-1950, Royal Australian Institute of Architects, Red Hill ACT, 2001
Documenting NSW homes
Documenting NSW Homes
Recorded for the future: documenting NSW homes
The Caroline Simpson Library has photographically recorded homes since 1989