Membership Terms & Conditions
- Membership commences on the date of purchase or issuance and is valid during the period up to and including the date of expiry, unless otherwise stated.
- Memberships are non-refundable and cannot be paid on a pro-rata basis for part of a year.
- Memberships including its cards and benefits are non-transferable.
B. Membership Types
- Member – One (1) nominated adult and up to four (4) children (under 18 years) can attend as part of this membership.
- Member Plus One – Up to two (2) adults and up to four (4) children (under 18 years) can attend as part of this membership.
- Avalid MHNSW Membership grants the named Members unlimited entry to the Hyde Park Barracks and Susannah Place Museum during normal operating hours.
- MHNSW reserves the right to amend terms and/or change Member benefits or privileges at any time, including discounts to its retail shop, onsite cafes / restaurants, events and exhibitions during your membership, including suspending or revoking the membership program in whole or in part at MHNSW’s discretion. If any changes are made, we will give members notice by email and/or by posting a notification on the MHNSW website. MHNSW is under no obligation to refund membership fees in whole or in part.
- MHNSW reserves the right to exclude select events and activities from member discounting. MHNSW will communicate this in related marketing and at point of sale.
- The MHNSW Members Team reserves the right to suspend a Member's benefit in whole or in part or cancel a paid MHNSW Membership without refund for any breach of any of these Terms and Conditions.
C. Membership Benefits
- Membership grants the listed Member the following benefits:
- Exclusive Member experiences including curator and expert-led access, behind the scenes tours and more
- Unlimited free entry to Hyde Park Barracks and Susannah Place
- 20% discount on events* including school holiday programs
- Member-only previews to all exhibitions
- Pre-sale and priority access to tickets, including Sydney Open
- Exclusive Members’ magazine - Unlocked
- Regular eNews with exclusive giveaways and offers
- 10% discount at all our cafes and restaurants
- 10% discount at all our retail shops and online
- Discounts and offers from our partners as listed in clause H
- The Member + One membership extends membership benefits to an additional adult for each visit or booking, when accompanied by the named member.
- A Membership is solely for the personal enjoyment of MHNSW museums and historic houses and cannot be used for entry to any MHNSW commercial activity.
- Membership benefits and discounts only apply to MHNSW programs, events or other activities where expressly stated.
- Any past, current or future MHNSW Member discounts, offers or promotions cannot be used in conjunction with any other MHNSW discounts, offers or promotions.
- A member must at all times abide by any applicable MHNSW Ticket terms and conditions or Terms of Entry. These may change from time to time.
- Members are responsible for ensuring that their contact details associated with their membership are correct at all times.
- To gain entry to an MHNSW property, a Member must present MHNSW admission staff with a valid membership card or other proof of Membership issued by MHNSW. MHNSW Staff may ask for proof of identity.
- Free entry to exhibitions does not include exhibition launches or some ticketed exhibitions.
- Reproduction of a Membership card in any form is strictly prohibited.
- Each MHNSW Membership includes free entry to museums, historic houses and general exhibitions for up to four children aged 15 years and under when accompanied by the adult Member. This also includes access to Member discounts for MHNSW events and programs.
- MHNSW reserves the right to request Members children to be registered and named in Memberships.
- Visitors to MHNSW museums, historic houses and exhibitions choosing to upgrade to a Membership from a ticket are bound by the following terms:
- A valid MHNSW ticket receipt must be presented at the time of purchase. This includes a museum admission ticket or a Sydney Museums Pass.
- Only one MHNSW ticket can be used towards upgrading to a MHNSW membership in a transaction.
- MHNSW tickets must be of an equivalent or a lesser value than the membership they are to be discounted from. For example, the maximum discount available for a Member membership is an adult ticket fee.
- If the total of the ticket value exceeds the total membership value, the Museum will not refund the difference.
- Upgrades must be made within 14 days of the date of admission as printed on the entry receipt.
- MHNSW tickets cannot be upgraded online and/or upgraded against the discounted online Membership prices. Prospective Members must present their entry receipts in person to our admission staff or via email to the Membership office.
G. Membership Auto Renewal
- By signing up to Auto Renewal you give permission for your credit card details to be stored securely and will be charged annually as a recurring payment. The first payment will be taken on the day of purchase, and then annually for the next year of membership at the then-current rate. You will be notified via email prior to any credit card transaction.
- You may opt out of Auto Renewal at any time. You can do so by contacting the Membership Office at a minimum of ten (10) days prior to your expiry date.
- Subject to any rights to cancel, membership fees are non-refundable once payment has been received, and membership benefits are not transferable.
- Museums of History NSW is not responsible for any loss or damage you may suffer from incorrect or incomplete account details that you have provided to us. Auto Renewal is not available as a payment method when purchasing a Gift Membership.
H. Affiliated Organisations Reciprocal Benefits
Subject to change at any time
- Opera Australia: For 8% off tickets, use MHNSW22 at check out or quote MHNSW22 for phone bookings.Valid until 1 October 2022. Limit of 4 tickets per production per customer. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. Valid only for opera performances. Excludes musical performances at the Sydney Opera House and Arts Centre Melbourne and events on New Year’s Eve. Booking fee may apply.
- Art Monthly: For 10% off one-year print subscriptions, use DISCOVERMHNSW at check out. For a 10% discount on one-year print subscriptions from Australasia’s flagship visual arts publication, enter code DISCOVERMHNSW when subscribing online.
- Transport Heritage NSW: For 20% off NSW Rail Museum’s “Museum + Heritage Train Ride” ticket, use EXPLOREMHNSW at check out. Or show your MHNSW membership card at the admission desk. Upon presentation of valid Museums of History NSW membership card for in person purchases or a valid coupon code for pre booked online purchases. The code to access the museum and heritage ride discounted tickets online is RBMember2022 or MHNSW members can call the customer service team on 1300 11 55 99 to book. This offer is available online and can be redeemed in person at Transport Heritage NSW on presentation of a valid Sydney Living Museum’s membership card.
I. Gift Memberships
- Gift Memberships are valid from the date of activation either by giver or by the recipient, for the duration of the membership purchased. For example, if 1-year membership was purchased, it is valid for 12 months from the date it is activated by either the giver or recipient.
- MHNSW reserves the right to cancel, without refund, any Gift Membership that has not been activated within 6 months of the purchase date.
J. Death of a Member
- A MHNSW Membership terminates automatically on the death of a member. MHNSW will terminate the member's account on receipt of notification of the death of the member.
- Should the member be part of a Member plus One, the Members Team can re-allocate the membership/s at our discretion.
K. Members Lounges
These apply to all designated members spaces or pop up existing and future:
- If you, or any one in your party, are feeling unwell we ask that you do not enter the members Lounge but visit us another day
- The Members Lounge is cleaned regularly, and hand sanitiser is available for use by members on entry and throughout your visit.
- Any refreshments provided are a courtesy for members. Please only touch and take what you intend to consume and place crockery and cutlery in the areas set aside for sanitising on leaving the Lounge.
- The Members Team, in their absolute discretion, may restrict your access or require you to wait to access the Members Lounge in order to manage Lounge capacity. You will need to have your membership card and/or photographic proof of your identity with you to enter the Lounge. The Members Team or Museum Staff reserves the right to deny you access if they are unable to confirm your identity and/or current membership details.
MHNSW reserves the right to close the Lounge, re-locate it or cease to operate the Members Lounge at any time.
- The Members Lounge can become busy. It is a condition of entry into the Lounge that members enter at their own risk. MHNSW is not responsible for any injury, loss or damage suffered by Members while in the Members lounge.
- Smart, casual dress standards apply as a minimum at all times while in the Lounge and entry may be refused if customers do not meet that standard. Bare feet or clothing with offensive images or slogans are not acceptable. Members Team or Museum Staff have absolute discretion to administer these standards.
- If you are asked to leave the Member Lounge or premises for any reason, you must comply with that direction.
- By becoming a MHNSW Member, you provide MHNSW with your express consent to receive communications Museums of History NSW by post or email (to the addresses you have nominated) regarding:
- your Membership; and
- news, programs, competitions. events and offers at MHNSW and at any of our business partners.
- You may opt-out of receiving the communications set out in clause 37 (ii) by using the unsubscribe function on any electronic communications you receive from MHNSW or by contacting the Membership Team to change your preferences. Opting out of these communications will impact MHNSW's ability to provide you with the membership benefits that would otherwise be available to you as part of membership.
- If you opt-out, MHNSW may still contact you regarding any news or notifications that impact your membership. These could include but not limited to; changes in terms, pricing and organisational news.
- Each Member acknowledges that MHNSW collects, uses and discloses personal information about the Member so that MHNSW can provide members with membership benefits and administer the MHNSW Membership program. More information about how your personal information is used and kept is set out in MHNSW’s Privacy Statement.
- Only the Member named on the account will be entitled to access their Membership information.
M. Privacy and Personal Information
- When you purchase a Membership, book a ticket or donate to MHNSW through any MHNSW channel, or give information to MHNSW for any other purpose, the personal information you provide will be entered into a database. The database is a customer relationship management system which is shared by MHNSW and other Australian arts organisations (the current organisations are Sydney Opera House, the Australian Chamber Orchestra, Bell Shakespeare Company, Opera Australia and Pinchgut Opera) who use a common customer relationship system known as Tessitura for the purposes of ticketing, marketing, fundraising and customer relationship management. The Organisations are able to view your name and contact details (e.g. address, email and phone numbers) when those details are given to MHNSW and entered on the database (“Contact Information”). This is so that MHNSW can process your current and future transactions as effectively as possible without asking you to provide the same information repeatedly, and also helps to ensure the speed and efficiency of any of your dealings with the Organisations.